Your car battery is one of the most important parts of your vehicle, frankly because without it, your vehicle wouldn’t even start! It also serves as a surge protector for your car’s computer and provides power for things like lights, radio, cell phone chargers and GPS.
Clearly, it’s important to have a well performing battery. On average you can expect a car battery to last around 42 months, but this timeframe will vary depending on a number of variables, including the climate you live in, your travel routine and the performance of your car’s charging circuit.
Regardless of what conditions your vehicle is subjected to, here are 5 ways to extend your car battery life.
1. Avoid short trips, when possible – Your car battery puts in a lot of work every time you start the car but is then recharged by the engine during your travels. If you are only driving a short distance, it will be impossible for the battery to regain the amount of power lost. If you do this routinely, the battery voltage will reduce steadily until it can no longer start the car. To maximize your car battery life, experts recommend combining errands.
2. Keep your battery secure – A battery that isn’t securely fastened could vibrate, potentially creating short circuits and reducing battery life. But don’t make the mistake of over-tightening the battery clamp nuts, that could damage the battery too. Simply tighten the nuts until you feel the resistance start, and then continue for only an additional half turn.
3. Keep all accessories off when starting the engine – A/C, heat, seat warmers, the radio, cell phone charges, GPS etc. are all convenient accessories to use but they put a big drain on your car’s battery. When starting your vehicle, especially when it’s cold, make sure that all accessories are off. If you can control your car remotely, ensure the accessories are off before starting it.
4. Make sure to turn off all the lights when you leave – Accidentally leaving your headlights or interior lights on can put a heavy toll on your vehicle’s battery. A quick, simple check before leaving your vehicle can prevent you from coming back to your car with a dead battery!
5. Control the corrosion – Car battery terminals corrode over time but keeping them clean from buildup is an easy way to extend the life of your battery. Simply scrub the terminals with a toothbrush dipped with baking soda and water then, using a spray bottle with cold water, rinse the mixture off and follow up with a thorough drying with a clean cloth.
Your car battery is a critical part of your vehicle, it works consistently and flawlessly but even the best batteries can’t last forever. Be sure to follow these 5 simple tips to extend your car battery life.
If your car battery is over 3 years old, we welcome you to bring your vehicle to ABS Unlimited for a free battery check. If you don’t know how old your car battery is, simply look on the battery case to find the manufacture date.
In the event that you need a new car battery we offer NAPA and Interstate batteries and all batteries purchased at ABS Unlimited come with a warranty and limited-time free replacement. We would love the opportunity to assist you with your auto service and repair needs.
Why Choose ABS Auto Repair for your vehicle needs?
- Family owned and operated
- Honest advice with no unnecessary upsells
- Hundreds of 5 star reviews on Google, Yelp and Facebook
- AAA approved
- 30+ years of happy customers